Wednesday 11 June 2014

Toddlers and funerals

For those of you that don't follow me on twitter (@mrshockallz), it's been a really tough start to 2014 for my family. 

At the end of January my lovely great aunt died two months after she was rushed to hospital with paralysis, which turned out to have been a spinal stroke (unlike a normal stroke where blood clot goes to the brain this went to her spinal cord). It was a long two months for my parents having to do hospital visits 3 times a week.

Then two weeks past Monday my 93 year old nannie died after suddenly feeling ill while in hospital after a fall. I was extremely close to my nannie as I grew up living just a short walk from her house. In 2007 she fell and broke her hip, so my parents gave up everything and sold their house to move in with her to look after her. It's hit us all hard especially my mum and me.

So that brings me to the present day.... Would you take a toddler to a funeral?? In my case I did. James has been to both my aunt and my nannies. Now I'm guessing people are thinking I'm crazy taking a 21 month old to a church service and cremation but James was brilliant. He was climbing between Andy and my mum at my nannies church service but other than that he never screamed, cried, ran around or anything.

Even at the age of 18 months which he was at my great aunts cremation service he was as good as good. 

I'm guessing I just have a well behaved child at events as he didn't winge once when he went to a wedding at 10 months old n ate a 3 course meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment